Light and fluffy homemade buttermilk pancakes are as easy as they are delicious! Say goodbye to instant pancakes!!
Pancakes are always a crowd pleaser in my home
The funny thing is, I’ll bet you didn’t know you have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your pantry to make great buttermilk pancakes from scratch!
This is a true story
The best part is you don’t have to spend a lot of money on store bought pancakes and you will get a lot of them, so you can use what’s left (if any) for breakfast during a busy week
To start we will need 2 cups of buttermilk
What? No buttermilk? No sweat! Simply make your own
Pour 2 cups of milk into a mixing bowl
Add an acid, in this case, I’m adding 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, so that’s one tablespoon per cup of milk
Let stand for 10 minutes and you have buttermilk!
Why use buttermilk in pancakes?
The acid in buttermilk reacts with the raising agent to produce carbon dioxide which acts as a leavening agent. In other words it causes a better rise hence fluffier pancakes
Next, let’s work on our dry ingredients
We will need 3 cups of all purpose flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Add all of the dry ingredients in with the flour and whisk to combine
I then dumped this into my Ninja food processor
You can use a blender or just mix away in a large bowl
Whisk two large eggs and add in the buttermilk
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients
Give it a blend
After around 30-40 seconds or so I turn it off and use a rubber spatula to make sure the dry ingredients are being incorporate with the wet
Blend until all the ingredients are combined
If possible let the batter rest at least 30 minutes or so in the refrigerator
This is key to lighter fluffier pancakes so plan ahead
Spray a griddle or pan with cooking oil and heat to medium
I like to use a small measuring cup as my ladle
Pour even amounts of batter equal distances apart to allow them to spread out
Patience will be rewarded
Wait until there are some bubbles on the back end of the pancake before flipping
It is also ok to sneak a little peek under a corner to check how brown they are, then flip away!
Light, fluffy delicious pancakes, all made with ingredients you most likely have at home!
We like to serve these with butter, our favorite syrup and a side of crispy bacon!
Click on our links below for more great breakfast or even breakfast for dinner ideas!
We love it when our readers make and share our recipes!
Post a pic on your social media and tag us @ #simplysundayshomecooking
- Griddle, Ninja Food Processor
For the butter milk
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the pancakes
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
For the buttermilk
- Combine 2 cups of whole milk with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes to make buttermilk
For the pancakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pour the dry ingredients into a blender or food processor
- In a bowl whisk together 2 large eggs and the 2 cups of buttermilk until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the blender with the dry ingredients. Blend for around 30-40 seconds then use a rubber spatula to ensure the dry ingredients are being incorporated properly with the wet
- Refrigerate the batter and allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes
- Heat up a griddle or pan, you can use butter or cooking spray to coat the surface. Using a small measuring cup for a ladle, pour even amounts of batter equal distances apart to allow them to spread out
- Wait until you have some nice bubbles on the back end of the pancake before flipping. It is also ok to sneak a little peek under a corner to check how brown they are, then flip. Serve with your favorite breakfast toppings and sides
Tools used to make this recipe
© Simply Sundays 2021
All rights reserved